Sunday, December 27, 2015

Holy Communion is important





Ever since my conversion to Orthodox Christianity, I am striving harder to become a better person in and out of my church life. I have a long way to go but because of my will to repent for my sins that I commit everyday, I will never turn away the grace of Confession and Holy Eucharist.

The Eucharist is at the center of Orthodox Christianity. In practice, it is the partaking of the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ in the midst of the Divine Liturgy with the rest of the church. The bread and wine are believed to become the genuine Body and Blood of the Christ Jesus through the operation of the Holy Spirit. Communion is given only to baptized and chrismated Orthodox Christians who have prepared by fasting, prayer and confession. The priest will administer the gifts with a spoon, called a "cochlear", directly into the recipient's mouth from the chalice. From baptism young infants and children are carried to the chalice to receive holy communion. Because of the Orthodox understanding of mankind's fallen nature in general those who wish to commune prepare themselves in a way that reflects mankind in paradise. First, they prepare by having their confession heard and the prayer of repentance read over them by a priest. They will increase their prayer rule, adding the prescribed prayers in preparation for communing. Finally, they will fast completely from food and drink from the evening of the previous day (usually sunset on Saturday if communing on Sunday). The Orthodox Church uses leavened bread for, according to the Gospel of Saint John, Last Supper and Passion, took place during the evening, night and day time of Passover Day, therefore leavened bread was eaten in Last Supper. According to the synoptic Gospels, last Supper, Lord's trial and crucifixion took place during next day, the first Day of Unleavened Bread feast, but according to Lev 23:7, any work on that Day was forbidden. Clearly, the synoptic Gospels are in error on the day of Last Supper and Passion.

Of course, our sincere repentance is needed when making a confession. Partaking always with the Eucharists are truly important and means your heart is with God and not just on the earthly church.  I am starting to know why the breaking of the bread and preparation of the wine becomes the body and blood of Christ. That's why I am following the directions told to be me by the priest on how confession and communion will happen and since I have difficulties with Japanese, I write it my sins of the week on a paper. And I can serve on the altar.

When God's grace is showing unto you, grab in and don't delay it. What God gives us is the loop whole of salvation we are given through the church and it is what we truly need: Partaking with the laypeople and all the saints as the Holy Spirit is blessing the holy gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment