Monday, June 1, 2015

Where is the Ko(子)?


I asked some friends the names of their children whether they are female and have some kanji. I notice most of the newborn female babies here doesn't have the suffix 子 or ko. Well, I asked some of them why. They just didn't like having the "suffix" for their daughters.

Which brings to my story if I would have named my child with that suffix, much to the chargin of my girl.

I suggested Fuyuko(冬子) which she hates because it isn't too modern or these names as well:

Keiko(恵子)
Aiko(愛子)
Yuko(優子)
Akiko(秋こ)

And all other girl names with the suffix ko.

My sister is named Michiko but instead of having a kanji(道子/ミチ子), my father used Katakana only.

Back to the present, most girls are named like Aika, Yuka, Ayumi and some American names I am not fond off. It seems to me most parents doesn't even want to place a better name with a kanji these days to modernize but I don't think full modernization is what we need. We still need to value the culture we grew up with or the adopted culture we want to live our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment