Thursday, April 24, 2014

Filipino-Japanese identity





Being a person of Japanese descent, i wonder why very few Filipino-Japanese are celebrating Undokai(native Okinawan/Japanese festival) or some other Japanese inspired fiestas. It is just a shame for me that a few Fil-Japs are proud of their heritage and now, describes themselves as either Filipino or Japanese. I rarely heard them of being Filipino-Japanese like i do. If i see some foreigners who appreciate Japanese culture, i felt why not my fellow Nikkejin do the same?

When i was a kid, i am mistaken by some as Chinese. When i grew up and people in my country were invaded by overrated Korean Pop, i am called a Korean. What in the world they are thinking? My paternal grandmother is a Japanese from Okinawa and i am proud that i had a Japanese blood although i don't call myself a Japanese.

For me, a Filipino-Japanese is someone from mixed Filipino and Japanese ancestry and a delayed group that will never let itself assimilate by other external groups that will be proud of their roots and proud of their host country no matter what situation.

The questions i would raise everytime to a nikkeijin is who is the full blooded Japanese among their family? If they do, i would introduce myself too. And a greeting of a fellow Nikkei to him/her, is that a simple task?

No comments:

Post a Comment