Saturday, April 12, 2014

My Language preferences

When i was a kid, i am thought English at first and then, Filipino. I called it Filipino and not Tagalog because i think Tagalog is a sub-group of the basic Filipino languages as a local dialect nowadays. Yet, i speak better English than my Filipino because i learned it much faster since i watched English television shows, cartoons and deemed Filipino as not my own language. I learned the advanced Filipino when i was like six years old. Since that time, i alternated Filipino at home and English at school(like most middle to upper class schools) and it was like i can go to other countries with ease.

When i found out about orthodoxy, i read some Greek but i can't understand so much because of so much letters i can't memorize easily. Yet, learning how to pronounce Serbian letters both Latin and Cyrillic was like a piece of cake to me even before i go here to Japan. I only know the Greek word Kalimera but i know more Serbian words, it is just i can't construct basic sentences like my Japanese.

As i continue living here in Japan and knows little of the language(although i know some kanjis and a bit sentence), i think i can compare my Serbian to Japanese. Of course, they are different but i used my memorization technique of learning Serbian Latin and Cyrillic and how to pronounce it to memorize katakana, hiragana and some kanji like i am memorizing simple figures or number equivalents.

If one day i can know Japanese well, i will continue my Serbian study. So does starting to learn Spanish, Romanian and Greek. Spanish is exotic and daring. Greek is the epitome of all words and mysterious. And Romanian, it is one of the last remnants of the Romance languages(Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Romanian and some lesser known Romance language) and i am knowing some words(especially my favorite Romanian word, ''lacrimi'' which means cry or tears which has an equivalent to Spanish and Portuguese languages almost exactly.)

So for me, learning is one of the very treasures of every intellectual. Rich or Poor, fat or thin, man or woman, and almost everyone that desires more from what the past thought us. Will i be able to learn all languages i like in the future?

2 comments:

  1. მემგონი შეძლებ, მშვენიერი პოსტია :) (maybe you will be able to learn, i like your topic :)

    ReplyDelete