Tuesday, April 8, 2014

My faith

As many of you know, i am still Roman catholic. But i desire to be an Eastern Orthodox Christian. What brings me to that faith is something unsual. It doesn't even concern my current views, making myself a proponent of Christian unity only through the Eastern Orthodox Patriarchs.

When i was around grade school, i am reading some almanacs around the letter B. And then some pages were torn or couldn't be recognized by my young eyes. Yet, i came to the page were the Byzantine Empire section was located. It enchanted me when i saw icons of Christ, religious relics, icons and of course, the downfall of Constantinople. It made me become curious more about Christianity. During a holy week, i asked dad what is Eastern orthodox church and he anwsered: ''just another false church''. Yet, i was hungry for the truth. These time, in High School, i am reading something about the byzantine Empire and Greek history. I stumbled upon that faith that made me curious and search for what is the origin of Christianity. Since that day, i wanted to know it till i saw that church was just 30 minutes away from home via a jeep and another 5 minutes for a motorcycle ride. As i went there, i saw that church i longed for, went inside and asked questions amongst the two priests(one returned to Greece) and i felt my faith got revived. When i returned home, i told my older sisters i want to be an Orthodox. It met strong criticism from my family clan(Garcia's of Paranaque descending from Spanish-Filipino through my paternal grandfather and Japanese through my paternal grandmother) especially from my parents when they were able to talk to me via yahoo messenger. Since that day, dad cannot forgive me because he is a strong Roman Catholic and most Filipino Roman catholics think that any Christian sect outside of RC and Mainstream Protestantism is like a cult or nonsense. Since i am optimistic those days, i had many icons blessed, a priest gave me prayer books and he taught me good things and told me to be careful of other things that is why i am aware even on my own family. Yet, when i went to Japan and left my icons and other church paraphernalia there, i thought my faith would get stagnated and if my parents would have a vacation, the will dispose my holy icons of Lazar, Isus Hristos, Bogorodice(Bogorodica Ljeviška) and some incense which they did. Since that day, i am secretive if my plans to pursue what God wants for me to discover.

Currently, i am attending divine liturgies, vespers, matins, complines or simply going there and praying to God for forgiveness and help for my future challenges. I know it will not be a secret one day but when i get that freedom, i will practice my faith to the fullest. I assure everyone.

6 comments:

  1. Just remember, even if we become full Orthodox, we must still be catechumenates at heart and mind: forever studying and forever arriving at the Truth. We can't act like Roman Catholics and Protestants who fool themselves into thinking that they know it all, even to the point of bluffing about historical facts just so they can defend their point. Our mark as Orthodox is first, humility and prayer, the defense of our faith comes from the Holy Spirit and not from the mind. Our belief is supernatural that transcends the natural. Our acts must therefore be a striving for the supernatural. Let them be when they persecute you for your Orthodox faith. I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Galatians. I am still a secret catecumen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you here na po ba in the Philippines? :D

    ReplyDelete